Best Housing Off-Campus For University Of Toronto Students
Unless you plan to live in the library, you’re going to need a place to stay in the city while you study. We’re looking at everything you need to know about living off-campus at the University of Toronto, starting with a framework for how to get a place. Then, we’ll look at the different campuses and where you can live nearby.
The University of Toronto, or “U of T” for short, has three campuses —St. George, Mississauga, and Scarborough. The campus you attend will depend on your program or area of study.
Here’s a run-down on how to find off-campus housing:
- Identify your needs
- Search for apartments
- Submit applications & sign a lease
1. Identify your needs
Before you jump right into scanning the apartments for rent in Toronto, you need to figure out exactly what your needs are. This is an important first step because you don’t want to overwhelm yourself or waste time by looking at hundreds of listings that ultimately are not suitable for you.
You can figure out your needs by answering these questions:
- What’s your budget?
- Do you need to find roommates?
- How close do you need to be to campus?
- How close do you need to be to public transit?
2. Search for apartments
Once you’re clear on your needs, the next step is to start your search for your perfect home. U of T has plenty of resources to help, and finding a place on liv.rent will save you even more time and energy.
Pro tip: You can use your one renter’s resume to apply to dozens of apartments to save you from filling out tons of applications.
3. Submit applications & sign a lease
After you’ve found your off-campus housing, it’s time to check it out, apply, and if all goes well, sign your lease. You can connect with landlords and set up a viewing before signing your lease.
Now that we have a framework for how to get off-campus housing, let’s take a look at the different campuses and where to look for apartments for rent near U of T:
Table of Contents
liv.rent has officially landed in Toronto
Start your search today and browse through verified condos, houses and apartments for rent in Toronto. Connect instantly with verified landlords and apply to multiple listings with just a few clicks.
Where is U of T St. George Campus?
The U of T main campus is St. George in Downtown Toronto. This is the biggest and most central campus, where the majority of students do their studies. The official address for the campus is 27 King’s College Circle, Toronto.
It’s so close to the heart of the city that you can see the iconic CN tower from campus.
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) runs buses, streetcars, and subways that all connect the campus to the entire city:
- There are four subway stops that surround the campus: Spadina, St. George, Museum, and Queen’s Park.
- Buses and streetcars go along Bloor Street, Spadina Avenue, Harbord Street, College Street, Queen’s Park Crescent, Wellesley Street, and Bay Street.
liv.rent – Canada’s trusted house & apartment rental website
Search apartments, condos, and homes for rent.
- Verified Landlords: Rent from a trusted landlord. Look for the “ID Verified” tag to identify which landlords have been pre-screened.
- Quality Rentals: Browse listings that have been checked by our team. Verified by official documents or by mail.
- One-Click Applications: Fill out your Renter Resume once and apply to multiple listings in just a few clicks.
Apartments for rent near U of T St. George
- Apartments for rent: U of T St. George
- Rooms for rent: U of T St. George
- Houses for rent: U of T St. George
Where is U of T Scarborough campus?
The Scarborough campus, also known as UTSC, is about 22 kilometres east of the St. George campus. Its official address is 1265 Military Trail, Scarborough.
Scarborough is still in the City of Toronto, although it’s a different neighbourhood than Downtown where the St. George campus is.
The campus is accessible by public transit thanks to buses run by the TTC. For example, the 198 U of T Scarborough Rocket route has a direct connection between campus and Kennedy Station where you can get the subway.
Apartments for rent near U of T Scarborough
- Apartments for rent: U of T Scarborough
- Rooms for rent: U of T Scarborough
- Houses for rent: U of T Scarborough
Where is U of T Mississauga campus?
The Mississauga campus, also known as UTM, is about 27 kilometres west of the St. George campus. The official address for the campus is 3359 Mississauga Road, Mississauga.
Mississauga is a separate city from Toronto, although they are right next to each other just a 35 to 45-minute drive apart.
Public transportation is provided by MiWay and their bus routes take you around the city and connect to campus. They also link up to the TTC and other neighbouring city transit systems. Plus, shuttle buses run from UTM to the St. George campus.
Apartments for rent near U of T Mississauga
- Apartments for rent: U of T Mississauga
- Rooms for rent: U of T Mississauga
- Houses for rent: U of T Mississauga
U of T housing
There is housing available at U of T in residences at St. George, UTM, and UTSC. Living on campus is great for feeling connected to the pulse of the campus. Residences have lots of facilities and benefits, plus, you can walk to classes.
First-year U of T housing guarantee
U of T also has a “housing guarantee” that’s important to note especially if you’re a first-year student. They promise residence on campus for students who are just about to enter their first semester of an undergraduate program. This is wonderful for first-year students, but there isn’t room on campus for all upper-year undergraduate and graduate students.
U of T off-campus housing
If you have decided not to live on campus or were unable to obtain student housing, then you’ll have to look at off-campus housing.
This can be especially challenging for the many second-year students who do not get a spot on campus and need to transition to off-campus housing.
Plus, even if they apply and get offered a spot, that offer could come pretty late. According to University of Toronto Student Life, depending on availability, offers for a spot campus residence might not come until after the school year begins, putting second-year students in a difficult situation.
However, getting your own off-campus place to live is possible, especially using liv.rent. If you need to get an apartment in Toronto on your own as a student, then here’s what you need to know:
When it comes to finding the perfect housing near U of T, you want to make sure that you’re setting yourself up for success.
Of course, the main concern is getting a place as close to campus as possible. Being a student is hard enough, but tacking on a difficult commute can really wear you down.
When you’re looking for a place, be sure to keep public transportation options at the top of your wish list. Here are some transit tips for students looking for off-campus housing:
- Use liv.rent listings to see how far each unit is from which public transit options
- Look for apartments along the subway lines
- Ask a landlord what the neighbourhood’s public transportation options are like
Students who need affordable housing in Toronto, Canada’s most expensive city, are going to have to be creative. Here are some ways to make living off-campus in Toronto more affordable:
- Look for smaller units like bachelors and studios
- Look at renting further from the city centre but still close to rapid transit
- Consider finding a roommate (or two) to bring the cost of rent down
- Negotiate the cost of rent with a landlord
U of T off-campus housing resources
Here are some resources that can help you navigate off-campus housing at U of T:
- Learn how to protect yourself from rental scams
- See our top ten tips for renting an apartment in Toronto
- Everything you need to know about the Ontario Standard Lease
- Find out what a landlord is allowed to ask you as a renter
- See what $1800 can get you in Toronto’s different neighbourhoods
- Learn about credit scores and renting apartments
- Everything you need to know about evictions in Ontario
Use liv.rent to find your off-campus apartment for U of T — helping you save time, stay organized, and stay safe. Our trusted rental platform is perfect for students, no matter which campus you’re studying at.
Additional off-campus resources for students
- University of Toronto Off-Campus Housing Service
- University of Toronto Roommate Finder Tool
- University of Toronto Student Life – Housing
- University of Toronto Off-Campus Housing (St. George) Facebook Group
Rethink The Way You Rent
Subscribe to receive the latest tenant & landlord tips and get notified about changes in the Canadian rental market.
>> Stay up-to-date on the average rent in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal: Rent Reports