Last Updated: June 20, 2018.
Liv Strategies Inc. and its affiliates ("Liv", "we", "us" and "our") are committed to protecting the privacy of all individuals and legal entities (each a "User", collectively, "Users") who use our services (as discussed more below). We understand that this is a big responsibility and we work hard to protect your Personal Information (defined below) and put you in control.
Our services allow users to:
- Use our site, https://liv.rent, and including all subdomains, present and future ("Site");
- Use our desktop application available on the Site to prepare, review and or sign a tenancy application ("Contract Portal");Use our mobile application ("Application"); and
When we talk about "Personal Information", we mean personally identifiable information relating to you or other identifiable individuals.
We want you to understand the types of information that we collect as you use our Services.
Our primary goals in collecting Personal Information from the Users are to provide the Services offered to you through the Liv Platform, including providing and updating the features and content offered there, administering your use of the Liv Platform, enabling our Liv Members (as defined below) to enjoy the Services and easily navigate the Site and the Application. In so doing, we also collect Personal Information and non-identifiable information from Liv Members for our own purposes, such as to provide and administer the Services ("Liv Data"). We are the data controller in respect of this Liv Data.
The Personal Information that we collect, and how that Personal Information is used, depends on how you use our Services and how you manage your privacy controls.
a. Personal Information.
You can choose to provide us with the following types of Personal Information as you use the Liv Platform and enjoy the use of our Services such as:
- Updates about our Services. Even if you are not signed up for a Liv Account, you might choose to provide us with information – such as your email address and first and last name to receive updates about our Services.
- Liv Account Information. When you sign up for a Liv Account, we require certain Personal Information such as your full name, email address, and phone number.
- Profile Information. To use certain features within the Liv Platform, we will invite you to complete a personal profile on the Liv Platform via your Liv Account ("Liv Profile"), at your sole discretion, which may include your address, geographical area, profession, salary range and a photograph uploaded by you. If completed by you, certain parts of your Liv Profile, including your profile picture, first name, and description, will appear to other individual users of the Liv Platform (each a "Member", together the "Members"). For our tenant Members, the profile picture and first name will not be publicly visible on the Internet to anyone not signed into the Liv Platform; however our Landlord Members' profile pictures and first names will be publicly visible on the Internet to anyone not signed into the Liv Platform.
- Reference and Additional Information. To apply for tenancy through the Liv Platform ("Tenancy Application"), we may collect additional profile information from you, at your sole discretion, such as your roommate and or partner's information (subject to their consent, discussed below), emergency contact's name and contact details, work references and landlord references, and pet information. These additional details would be stored in your Liv Account and disclosable to Landlords strictly on your consent in each case. We will provide you with the opportunity to authorize the integration of your LinkedIn account details using its Profile API strictly in order to permit the Liv Platform to access your employment history, geographical details and account status from LinkedIn.
- Roommate Information. When two or more users of the Liv Platform identify themselves within their respective Liv Account as roommates or partners ("Roommates"), the users consent to the following:
I. Being identified as each other's Roommates on the Site and Liv Platform;
II. Having their Personal Information (limited to their name, date of birth and employment status) shared with Landlords that their Roommate(s) matched with; and
III. Having their Personal Information shared with Landlords that their Roommate(s) match with on the Liv Platform.
- Credit Information. We may temporarily collect your financial information such as your bank statements or paystubs when you use our Tenancy Application and your credit card information and or social insurance number (SIN) when you use our Credit Check Service (as defined below) to apply for tenancy. If you provide financial information such as your credit card information, driver's license number and/or social insurance number (SIN), this Personal Information will only be used to locate your credit file from the trusted third party credit reporting agencies that we work with in order to create your Liv Score. Your bank statements may be uploaded by you, in your sole discretion, to supplement the generation of your Liv Score. Your credit card information, bank statements, and/or social insurance number (SIN) will be deleted as soon as your Liv Score has been generated.
-User-generated content. This includes, without limitation, messages, posts, comments, pages, photos, feeds or communications that you exchange and or post on the Liv Platform with us and or with other Members and prospective landlords who are Users of the Liv Platform (each a "Landlord", collectively, "Landlords"). In addition, we may receive Personal Information relating to communications that you choose to send us via the Liv Platform, such as help desk queries or comments concerning our Services and your use of the Liv Platform. Such user-generated content will be reviewable by you after your posting thereof as a log of your "Activity" on the Liv Platform.
- Listing Information. When as a Landlord you create a listing for rent by Members on the Liv Platform ("Listing"), we collect your unit address, building name, geographical area, lease amount and term, photos, unit features, building amenities, business license number and any details about the contents of the unit for verification and completion of the Listing, which details will be disclosed to Members on the Liv Platform in conjunction with your Listing.
-Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us Personal Information when you fill in a registration or other form, conduct a search, create an alert regarding any search, update or add information to your Liv Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums on the Liv Platform, send messages to Members or Landlords via the Liv Platform, participate in promotions offered through the Liv Platform, engage with third party advertisers from your use of the Liv Platform or use any other features available at any time on the Liv Platform.
- Information automatically collected from your use of the Services. We also automatically collect and receive certain information from your computer and or mobile device, including without limitation, the activities that you perform on our Site, the Application and generally within the Liv Platform; browser type and settings; device type and settings; operating system; mobile network information including carrier name and phone number, and application version number. We also collect information obtained from cookies (see "Cookies and Related Technologies" below). For example, each time you visit the Site or otherwise use the Services, we automatically collect your IP address, browser and device type, access times, your real-time location, the web page from which you came, the regions from which you navigate the Site and the pages of the Site that you access (as applicable).
- Usage information about your interactions with the Liv Platform. When you visit either or both of the Site and Application, whether as a Member, a non-registered user just browsing the Site or a Landlord, our servers automatically collect and record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website ("Log Data"). This Log Data may include information such as your computer's Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, the pages of our Site and Application that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our Site and Application, access times and dates, your real-time location and other statistics. The types of location data we collect depends on your device and account settings. For example, you can turn your iPhone's device location on or off using the device's settings app. We use various technologies to collect and store information, including cookies, local storage, such as application data caches, databases and server logs. This Log Data is stored on our secure servers, which are protected using SSL and industry leading encryption. It is used for confidential purposes to help us improve our services and our Liv Platform, however it is never shared with third party partners.
b. Liv Data
We collect non-identifiable information that we define as "Liv Data" from your use of the Services and your general use and engagement with the Liv Platform.
We collect and use the Liv Data in the following ways to build better Services:
- To enable us to deliver our Services to you, such as processing the terms you search for in order to return results.
- To maintain and improve our Services and the experience of all Users. By analyzing the Liv Platform and using the Liv Data, we can ensure that our Services are working as intended, such as troubleshooting issues, and to make improvements to our Services.
- To develop new Services.
- To obtain information about our visitors and Users, including research into our user demographics and user behavior in order to continuously improve our Services.
- To understand how our Services are used. For example, we analyze Liv Data about your visits to our Site and use of the Liv Platform to do things like optimize product design.
- We use information that we collect from you, like your email address, to communicate with you directly about your Liv Account and to provide customer service support, including responding to your comments, questions and help desk tickets, or to update you about upcoming changes or improvements to our Services. This allows us to keep you informed about the Services, features, newsletters, offers, events, announcements and details about related urban markets that we think that you may find useful or which you have requested from us.
- To share aggregate (non-personally identifiable) statistics about our Users to prospective third party advertisers and partners, which shall also serve to enable us to receive aggregate (non-personally identifiable) statistics from such third-party advertisers and partners about User engagement with such advertisements via the Liv Platform.
- To better understand your needs and the needs of all Users, and to diagnose problems, analyze trends, assess urban leasing markets, improve the features and usability of the Services, and to better understand and serve our Users, both current and prospective, generally.
- To maintain a safe and trust environment for all Users on the Liv Platform.
We use Liv Data to help improve the safety and reliability of the Liv Platform and our Services. This includes detecting, preventing and responding to fraud, abuse, security risks and technical issues that could harm our Users, the public or the Liv Platform.
We also use non-personally identifiable information gathered for statistical purposes to keep track of the number of visits to the Services with a view to introducing improvements and improving the usability of the Liv Platform. We may also use this type of statistical data to better understand how Users use the Services in order that we may consider how to work with potential third party advertisers and service providers and how they may provide you with optimal integration with the Liv Platform, as applicable and deemed appropriate by us. If we do decide to shares this type of non-personally identifiable information with such third parties on a future integration with the Liv Platform, we will advise you in advance of this change.
We use different technologies to process your information for these purposes. We analyze the information that you provide us and the Liv Data to help us detect abuse such as spam, malware and illegal content.
We define "Liv Data" to include "Log Data", which we use as follows:
We use Log Data to monitor and analyze User's use of and engagement with the Liv Platform and the Services provided thereon, for the ongoing technical maintenance and operation of the Liv Platform, to increase our the Liv Platform's functionality for all Users, to ensure the Site and Application are user-friendly for all Users and to better tailor our Site and Application to our Users' needs. We also use this Log Data to verify that Users of the Liv Platform meet the criteria required to process their requests to create a Liv Account and a Liv Profile thereon through the submission of registration forms. We do not treat Log Data as Personal Information or use it in association with other Personal Information, though we may aggregate, analyze and evaluate such non-personally identifiable information for the same purposes as stated above regarding other non-personally identifiable information.
c. Cookies and Similar Technologies.
d. Data Analytics.
- Google Analytics. We authorize and transfer to Google Liv Data for use of Google Analytics to analyze and process such Liv Data in order that we may, among other things, optimize and continuously improve the Services and the Liv Platform, assess further market need for additional research and development, and isolate key potential third party advertisers and partners to work with in order to further develop the Liv Platform and our Services offered.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as "phishing" are of great concern to Liv. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority of ours. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, sign-in details for your Liv Account, identification numbers or other personally identifiable information in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail, text message or telephone communication.
When you create a Liv Account as a Member and request us to create a Liv Profile for you via a registration form submitted on the Liv Platform, we will do so.
Your public Liv Profile will include your first name and last name initial; your profile photo; and your profession ("Profile Information"). We will display your Profile Information on your Liv Profile to other Users via the Site and Application. We will only disclose your full name, birthdate, and social insurance number ("Personal Information") in the following circumstances: (1) when you specifically request and provide us with your express consent to submit an application ("Application") for a Listing ("Listing") via the Platform; (2) to obtain your credit report from a trusted third party credit reporting agency in order to obtain your Liv Score; or (3) to create a contract for you and a Landlord in relation to a Listing ("Contract"). As a User, you should be aware that information that choose to provide as part of your Profile Information — your first name; last name initial; profile photo; and profession — will be publicly visible. Therefore, it is important to only share details that you want other Users to know about you. We recommend that you guard your anonymity and sensitive Personal Information and we encourage Users to think carefully about what information about themselves they disclose on their Liv Profile. You can review, revise and delete the Personal Information on your Liv Profile at any time by visiting your Liv Account.
When you create a Liv Account as a Landlord and request us to create a Liv Profile for you via a registration form submitted on the Liv Platform, we will do so. Your Liv Profile will include your company name and or your first and last name, as applicable; a photo of the building or of your company logo; and any other relevant company and or professional details ("Profile Information"). We will also require your business license number, however we will not disclose this to other Users but will simply identify whether it is verified or pending in relation to your Liv Profile. We will display your Profile Information on your Liv Profile to other Users via the Site and Application. We will only disclose your Profile Information, together with other information, when you specifically request and provide us with your express consent to create a Listing on the Platform and or to enter into a Contract with a Member, and, with your prior permission, on third party sites. For the avoidance of any doubt, if you wish to disclose such information on third party sites, we will enable you to copy your stored details regarding a Listing and paste this script directly into any third-party site such as Craigslist and Kijiji, among others. Any information you choose to provide as part of your Profile Information will be publicly visible to all Users and consequently should reflect how much you want other Users to know about you. We encourage Users to think carefully about what information about themselves they disclose in their profile pages and their Listings. You can review and revise your Profile Information at any time.
c. Liv Score
Our Service will enable Members to acquire a "Liv Score" as a method to enable our Members to engage with and hopefully positively use our Services to obtain a leased home with our Landlords. This Liv Score contains the weighted average of all scores obtained from credit history reports provided by third party credit reporting agencies (each, a "Credit Report"), background check scores resulting from the aggregate of results from publicly available government records, and verification of certain publicly available details retrievable from LinkedIn (such as employment history, geographical verification, name and account status). In each case that you request that we prepare a Liv Score on your behalf, you will be required to provide your express consent. If you submit a request form to have a Credit Report obtained via the Services, the credit score provided by the third party credit reporting agencies will be added to the algorithm preparing the Liv Score calculation via the Liv Platform with no storage thereof on the Liv Platform nor any inclusion of any other details in the Credit Report in the Liv Score or the delivery thereof. You may then share that Liv Score with Landlords who have created Listings for a period of sixty (60) days after you have obtained the Liv Score, on your express consent in each case. Please know that any request of your credit score may adversely impact your credit score.
We have systems in place to prevent open access by our staff to Users' Liv Accounts and the Personal Information that may be stored by Users within the Liv Accounts. At all times, there will only be a very small, restricted group of employees with access to the Liv Accounts and we conduct regular audits of access logs to the Liv Platform by our staff to monitor access and ensure compliance with our policies regarding access.
We monitor our Liv Platform on an ongoing and continuous basis to ensure that it remains a trusted environment for all Users, however we do not have legal control or authority over any of the Landlords on the Liv Platform, and therefore encourage you to think carefully about whether you wish to share your Liv Score with any Landlord. For the avoidance of any doubt, we will never share your Liv Score with any third party other than those Landlords specifically authorized by you in each case.
As a Landlord, if you post a Listing, we may publish that Listing publicly via the Site and Application and may enable you to disclose the details thereof by pasting the details of the Listing on third party websites and or through the use of an HTML "widget". We may also display the geographical location of your Listing in the form of a map so that potential and current Members can see the general area and neighborhood of your Listing, including your actual street address so that interested Members are able to get directions to your Listing. The information that you provide in your Listing will be visible to others, including anonymous visitors to the Site.
e. Tenancy Applications
If you submit an application as a Member to a Listing on the Liv Platform ("Application"), you shall be specifically consenting to our sharing of the information on your Liv Profile to the Landlord designated by you. Landlords will accordingly be able to view the information that you have provided in the Liv Profile in order to make decisions on whether to accept your Application to their Listings.
f. Aggregate Information and Non-Personally Identifiable Information
We may share aggregated information that does not include Personal Information and we may otherwise disclose non-personally identifiable information and Log Data with third parties for industry, demographic, and geographic analysis, among other purposes. Any aggregated information shared for these purposes will not contain your Personal Information.
g. Service Providers
When we receive formal written complaints, we respond by contacting the person who made the complaint. We work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of your Personal Information that we cannot resolve with you directly.
Liv cooperates with government and law enforcement officials to enforce and comply with applicable law. Accordingly, we will disclose any Personal Information to government and or law enforcement officials to meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
You have choices regarding the Personal Information that we collect and how it's used. This section describes key controls for managing your privacy across our Services and the Liv Platform.
Managing, reviewing and updating your Personal Information
You can also request a copy of your Personal Information from us by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can export a copy of your Personal Information in your Liv Account if you want to back it up and or keep a copy for your records. All Users may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in their Liv Profile and Liv Account by contacting us by email at: email@example.com or by directly editing the relevant part of their Liv Profile within the Liv Account.
Deleting your Personal Information and deactivating your Liv Account
If you would like us to deactivate your Liv Account, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and your Liv Account will be deactivated within three (3) business days. Once an account is deactivated, all of your Personal Information on your Liv Account (except as set out below) — including your name, contact information, profile settings, search history and Liv Score — will be permanently deleted . Some of your Personal Information may remain in back-ups or system cache files for up to five (5) business days. We refresh our system back-ups and cache every five (5) business days. Once a Liv Account has been deleted, all Personal Information (except as identified below) will be deleted, including back-up files and cache, within five (5) business days, subject to any non-personally identifiable information that has been collected as Log Data, etc. during the course of your use of the Liv Account on the Liv Platform and as set out below. Your Personal Information that was previously disclosed in rental applications and Contracts that you completed and authorized to be distributed via the Liv Platform with prospective and actual Landlords will not be permanently deleted due to the consent you provided us to authorize the third party disclosure of your Personal Information in order to complete the rental applications and enter into the contractual relationship between you and the Landlord(s) as parties to any Contracts entered into. Your name will appear in the record of any correspondence you and any Landlords had within the Liv Platform since this was authorized by you and cannot be deleted from such other parties' correspondence history within their own Liv Accounts. You can ask us for a record of all of the applications and Contracts that you entered into for your management of your Personal Information by emailing us at email@example.com.
Liv is very concerned with safeguarding your Personal Information and we build security into our Services in order to protect your Personal Information. We work hard to protect you, all of our Users and the Liv Platform from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of information that we hold, including to do the following:
We use encryption to keep your data private while in transit.
When you enter sensitive Personal Information (such as credit card numbers and/or your social insurance number) on our registration forms, we encrypt that Personal Information using AES-256-ctr.
We review our information collection, storage and processing practices including physical security measures, to prevent unauthorized access to our systems.
We restrict access to Personal Information to Liv employees, contractors and agents who need that information in order to process it. Anyone with this access is subject to strict confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations. Additionally, as previously noted, we conduct routine audits of access logs by our Liv employees, contractors and agents who are permitted to have restricted access to certain Personal Information.
We follow generally accepted industry standards and best practices to protect the Personal Information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission of information or data over the Internet, or method of electronic storage thereof, is 100% secure; therefore, we cannot guarantee the security thereof.
Once the Personal Information is received by us and in our custody, we will ensure that the Personal Information will be secure at every step of the process during its storage with Liv.
If you have any questions about the security of Personal Information on the Liv Platform, you can contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored Personal Information to you via email and or by an alert on the Liv Platform in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as this is consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement in relation to any investigation or other legal process or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the Liv Platform.
When you expressly opt in – that is, provide your consent to receive our newsletter and marketing emails – you expressly consent to receiving information from Liv. You may choose to stop receiving our information by e-mail and other electronic methods by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails or via your Liv Account, and you can always contact our Privacy Officer at email@example.com regarding this request.