A relatively new neighborhood, Coal Harbour’s high rises sprung up in the ‘90s and offer luxury accommodations with grand, waterfront views. Easy access to Stanley Park and Harbour Green Park make up for the forest of concrete towers. Tourist presence is high as Coal Harbour is bookended by 2 luxury Fairmont Properties (Pacific Rim and Waterfront) as well as the Pan Pacific to the East and the iconic Westin Bayshore to the West. So if you are a professional with a cushy bank account or company expense allowance or a down-sizing retiree, this is the neighborhood for you. Though all the amenities are here, this ‘hood doesn’t score high on color and vibrancy, however, this will change as it shakes off its newness.
Bordered by Coal Harbour to the North, Alberni Street to the South. Stanley Park to West and Burrard to East.
- On the Northwestern edge of downtown, Coal Harbour is well serviced by buses that run up and down Pender or Georgia.
- A walk to Pacific Centre will take 20 minutes or you can opt for the more scenic seawall walk to the Seabus terminal where you can access the Canada Line and Skytrain services.
- Fill your cupboards with groceries from Urban Fare, Safeway or Wholefoods -all nearby and filled with an excellent section of regular, organic and gourmet products.
- Cool off the kids in the waterfront fountains of Seawall Water Park where you can keep an eye on them from the adjacent Tap Shack patio.
- Sign up for piano, origami or karate classes at Coal Harbour Community Centre. They offer a wide array of programs to keep your mind, body and spirit fit plus many others for the junior set including hula, Japanese and aikido.
- Walk, cycle or run around the Stanley Park. There is no better way to grasp the size and beauty of Vancouver’s jewel of a city park than to circumnavigate the entire 1000 acres along the paved seawall (approximately 10 km). Or venture into the park to explore the kilometers of trails that weave through the magnificent old growth forests Lord Stanley vowed to protect. Treat it like your backyard!
- Enroll in the Learn-to-Row Program at the Vancouver Rowing Club near the entrance to Stanley Park. Join a community that was established in 1886, meet new friends, and get fit on the water. Consider becoming a VRC member. Members can use the club’s gym facilities and, more importantly, the expansive patio at the Member bar overlooking Coal Harbour. Sign up to join an 8 person crew and compete in the Annual Intersectional Regatta.
SFU, BCIT, and UBC have campuses located in Vancouver’s downtown. As well, Vancouver Film School, VCC, and numerous ESL are all within 2 km of Coal Harbour. Elementary schools nearby include Lord Roberts Elementary in the West End, Elsie Roy Elementary in Yaletown and City School Secondary near Denman and Nelson.
LOOSEN YOUR WALLETS
Eat at: Tableau, Lift Bar & Grill, Kingyo, H Tasting Lounge, Chewies Steam & Oyster Bar, Cactus Club Coal Harbour