How to get a bigger non-resident tax return in Canada.

[Updated For 2023] Renter’s Guide To Getting A Bigger Tax Return with Taxback

Doing taxes can be hard enough, but add in the fact that you’re a non-resident and there was a global pandemic last year and you have a whole host of new problems.

To help clear up tax confusion, was joined by Taxback for a live webinar that’s a renter’s how-to guide to getting a bigger tax return. This handy guide was originally created for the 2020 tax year, but we’ve worked together to update the content in time for this year’s deadline.

This webinar is perfect for non-residents who are filing their Canadian tax returns for the 2022 tax year. Anyone who’s working or studying in Canada temporarily will want to hear all these tax tips.

At this informational webinar, you’ll get an overall look at how tax works in Canada for non-residents. Of course, everyone has a unique tax position and it’s ultimately your responsibility to comply with the rules, we can only help show you what those are. Keep up with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to learn about their latest news and updates.

Table of Contents

Download The Renter’s Guide To Getting A Bigger Tax Return

The ultimate tax guide for renters in Canada. Everything you need to know about taxes, tax in the time of COVID-19, and how to get a bigger return.

Meet our webinar leaders:’s Marketing Specialist Melany Roa will be joined by Manus Shortall, VP of Business Development at Taxback.

Video transcription

This article is a partial transcription from our live webinar Renter’s Guide To Getting A Bigger Tax Return with TaxBack. Watch the video and download the guide to get our insights now.

Tax 101: basic tax principles for non-residents

When it comes to tax, you have to start with the basics. At our webinar we will be going over:

  1. An overview of the Canadian tax system
  2. Important tax dates for 2022
  3. What happens if you miss the tax deadline
  4. How to determine your tax residency

Canada’s tax system

In Canada, we have a progressive tax system. That means that the more money you are earning, the more taxes you’ll have to pay on it.

Not only is there federal tax to pay in Canada, but there will also be provincial tax, which is different depending on which province you are calling home.

In Canada, the federal tax-free allowance in 2022 is $14,398. That means you can earn up to that threshold before they start charging you tax on your income. Typically, you want to file your taxes every year, and there can be consequences for not doing so.

What generally happens is that most people, including non-residents, overpay tax each year. This results in a tax refund, and our webinar is going to show you how to make sure that the refund is as big as possible.

In our webinar, we will look at what it means when there’s an overpayment of:

  • Income tax
  • Canadian Pension Plan (CPP)
  • Employment Insurance (EI)

What do you need to prepare your tax return?

Before you do your taxes, make sure that you have this information and all of these documents available:

  1. Social Insurance Number
  2. T4 document
  3. T4A
  4. T2202
  5. ID (Passport)
  6. Receipts
  7. Entry and exit dates

Important tax dates for 2022

Get out your calendar apps because there are some key dates you have to know for “Tax Season.”

The Canadian tax year follows the calendar year. It goes from the first of January to the 31st of December and taxes are always filed at the beginning of the following tax year.

The earliest you can file your returns would be on February 20 this year when the tax office officially opens its doors.

Here are some more key dates to note in Canadian tax season:

  • February 28 — Deadline for receiving your T4 document from your employer
  • May 1 (extended from April 30 due to weekend) —Tax filing deadline
  • June 15 — Self-employed tax filing deadline
  • September 1 — Date by which any amount owing to CRA must be paid

What happens if I don’t file my tax return?

It pays to file your taxes. You are legally obligated to file your tax return. If you don’t, it could affect your future immigration status.

Also, you could be subject to fines, penalties, and interest on the money that you owe to the CRA. Plus, they’ll charge you a 5% penalty and an extra 1% of your amount owing for each month you didn’t file.

How do you find out what your tax residency status is? And, what happens if you miss a tax deadline? Watch the video and download the guide to find out.

Tax in the time of COVID-19

Of course, COVID-19 brought a variety of changes and challenges to our everyday lives. has created a ton of COVID-19 resources for renters and landlords to navigate the rental landscape during a pandemic:

Now, we’re about to find out what it means for our tax returns. In our webinar, we’re going to cover everything non-residents need to know about the effect of COVID-19 on their tax returns and even how they can get a bigger return out of it, including:

  1. Home office expenses
  2. Tax implications of CERB, CRB, and EI

1. Home office expenses

A unique tax implication of the COVID-19 pandemic is home office expenses. With many workers suddenly having to shift to remote working from home, not everyone was set up for it.

The home office expense is available to anyone who worked from home for at least half of the time over a consecutive period of four weeks or more because of the pandemic.

There are two processes: a Temporary Flat Rate Method, and a Detailed Method.

Simplified process

You can claim up to $2 per day up to a maximum of $500 to cover a range of expenses you had because you were stuck working at home.

Traditional detailed process

This can total more than $500 in tax relief, so it’s worth trying to get to make your return bigger. It is meant to cover different expenses like office furniture, supplies, and even bill payments.

However, you do need employer approval for this credit. You’ll need to have either a form T2200 or form T2200S completed and signed by your employer.

2. Tax implications for CERB/CRB 

Though most of the financial aid programs associated with the COVID-19 pandemic have largely come to an end, some renters may still be paying back the benefits they received. This includes pandemic-related financial programs such as:

  • Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
  • Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)
  • Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)
  • Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)
  • Employment Insurance (EI)

These payments are subject to regular income tax. If you received any of these benefits, then you’ll be paying tax on them.

Any COVID-19 related payments that were issued from 2020 to 2022 are subject to regular income tax. It’s up to you to declare those payments as part of your income in 2022 on your tax return.

Did you receive EI, CERB, or CRB? What does that mean for your tax return? Watch the video and download the guide to find out.

Tax hacks to get a bigger return

In our webinar, we’ll be looking at five key areas where you can help yourself to get a bigger return:

  1. T2202 Tuition & enrolment certificate
  2. Expenses
  3. Medical expenses
  4. TD1 Form
  5. Tax Forms T4 & T4A

1. T2202 Tuition & enrolment certificate

The T2202 form is the official income tax receipt issued by qualifying educational institutions. It’s for students to be able to claim tuition, education, and textbook tax credits. These forms are usually available for you to download from your school’s online portal.

To be eligible, you must have paid more than $100 in fees. Plus, you can claim both a federal and provincial tax credit for the tuition amount.

In order to calculate your tax credit, you simply multiply the tuition you paid by the federal tax rate (15% on the first 50,197). If you can’t use the entire credit this year, you can carry over the remaining amount to another year. To find this, navigate to “Go To Tax Returns” on CRA website, then go to “View Carryover amounts” 

2. Expenses

If you earned more than the basic personal amount, then you can claim the cost of expenses to reduce your overall tax liability.

Examples of these eligible expenses include:

  • Medical, including visits to the doctor, prescriptions, and surgery
  • Tuition fees (T2202)
  • Donations
  • Union dues
  • Work From Home expenses, including rent, supplies, travel, and professional fees

Of course, if you are going to claim some of these expenses to bring down your tax liability, then you have to be prepared. Keep documentation and receipts for each cost.

Medical expenses

You can also claim medical expenses that you paid for yourself, your spouse, or your common-law partner. Medical expenses include:

  • Doctor consultants
  • Nurses’ fees
  • Prescription drugs and medications
  • Premiums paid to private health insurance
  • Orthodontic work

Some important notes about medical expenses are that they should be reduced by 3% of your net monthly income (or $2,352, whichever is less.) Then, the tax credit is 15% of the amount remaining on the expense.

What is a TD1 form and how do I fill it out? What are the T4 & T4A forms for? Watch the video and download the guide to find out.


Founded in 1996, is part of the Taxback Group and has been filing taxes in Canada since 2011. They are a team of tax refund professionals who specialize in helping you claim all of your tax entitlements, guaranteeing you your maximum refund possible.

On average, the typical Canadian tax refund for them is $998 so it’s worth it to try and claim what you’re owed.

You can register now and get a free tax refund estimation:

Verified users are eligible for an exclusive discount of $15 CAD off TaxBack’s tax filing services.

Not on yet? Sign up now to get the full digital rental experience and access to our Taxback discount.

Access our Exclusive Offer with here 

Once you complete the Taxback application form, the Taxback team will handle the paperwork and transfer your refund directly to your bank account — anywhere in the world.

Taxback provides personal & corporate tax solutions. We will help you claim tax refunds and file tax returns.

Find apartments & houses for rent with the app

Rethink The Way You Rent

Not on yet? Experience the ease of digital applications & contracts, verified tenants & landlords, virtual tours and more – all on one platform. Sign up for free or download the app.

Subscribe to receive the latest tenant & landlord tips and get notified about changes in the Canadian rental market.

>> Stay up-to-date on the average rent in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal: Rent Reports writer sarah anderson

Sarah Anderson, B.A.

Creative Content Writer at

Sarah Anderson is a Creative Content Writer at who shares the latest updates and news with the safe and trusted community of landlords and tenants at [Read Full Bio]

You May Also Like

Gather Coliving Jonathan Chawla

Ask An Expert: Gather Coliving’s Jonathan Chawla On Building Community & Eliminating Vacancy Costs

Toronto renters can save money with these tips.

[Updated November 2021] 10 Smart Ways To Save On Rent In Toronto

How to negotiate rent on an apartment.

[Updated September 2022] How to negotiate rent: 6 simple steps that save tenants money

Rental market expert tips.

Ask An Expert: Klaus Rode On Toronto Rentals | Century 21

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *